Hugh's Historical Glasspar Hunt

A place for friends of Singlefinger Speed Shop to BS.

Re: Hugh's Historical Glasspar Hunt

Postby hhn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am

The Glasspar G2 has a photo history nearly as good as Ford recorded of its cars. This is the 'buck' being made for the first body in 1951.

There is more about the G2 history on Hemmings online today, July 4, 2012. They were in production 2 years before the Corvette.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012 ... refer=news
Attachments
glasspar buck.jpg
1951 factory pre-production photo
hhn

Postby hhn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Had an interesting visitor today, Ken Steers, younger son of the builder. He rememberd things that his family would know. He remembered a family friend who was trained in a European tech school doing the wiring. He was about 10 at the time. This layout was quite common with 1950s rod builders in SoCal, guys that worked at Douglas or Lockheed. This was one of the things I noticed when I got it, too.

A little more research found an SCCA entry list from one of the video Youtube races in 1956. This car was a Jag Beater on the track and was always driven to and from the races.
Attachments
Glasspar Stockton 1956.jpg
Stockton Entry List - SCCA
Glasspar steers -.png
build pic - 1955 - first known photo
Glasspar 57 1953=.jpg
as found with origial wiring - aircraft like
hhn

Postby Larry » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Glasspar57Wiring.jpg
Look at the wiring loom. It's a lot like a few other famous post war rods.

From Hugh:
I have lots of stuff from the Steers'. His older brother converted the 8mm film to Youtube which was the first link to the cars past. Ken is a retired United pilot. His father was a PanAm clipper pilot. Both built expermental planes. He repeated many stories that big brother told me. Steve lives in the Chicago area now - was in Denver. He has a Victress and a Devin vintage racer now. Their dad built a Victress on a 1957 modified Plymouth chassis right after the Glasspar.

Ken said he learned to weld welding beer cans togeather while his dad built the cars in Palo Alto. He had a video cam with him to add more to the story.

The aircraft building must be why the wiring is done so neatly. We can all take a lesson!
Murphy was an optimist...
Larry
Site Admin

Postby hhn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Hemmings has re-run their story on the John Steers today. The pic shown here is the car he built prior to the Glasspar. John designed his own chassis. This one is something like a Manning. The child in the peddle car is likely his son Ken that came for a visit recently.
Attachments
glasspar - Steers Car.jpg
his first fiberglass car
hhn

Postby hhn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Sometimes fleaBay has neat stuff.
These decals are just the right
size for show license plates :D

Ford engine blue should make a
good base colour
Attachments
g2 decal.jpg
replacement boat decals
glasspar 57 rear.jpg
hhn

Postby hhn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:33 am

One more detail solved - the rear view mirror. After looking at original photos it is very logical since John started building it in 1955 and raced it in 1956.

...a quick fleaBay search turned up one :mrgreen:
Attachments
G2 steers 57c.png
1956 photo
G2 57 rear.jpg
55 to 57 Chevy
G2 57 rear.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 32857 times
hhn

Postby Larry » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Don't you need 2?
:?:
A lot of racers in the day ran one on both sides to keep track of the competition.
Murphy was an optimist...
Larry
Site Admin

Postby hhn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 pm

The other one is like the MG Ts used on the center of the cowl :shock:
Need to figure it out
hhn

Postby hhn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:04 am

While waiting for Global Warming I have been on fleaBay looking for missing bits for the Glasspar. Scored 2 things from Michigan. A nice pair of NORS 1941 Plymouth after market bumper guards and some dash lights from Ypsi. There is a second video from 1955/56 that shows lots of original details. When on pause I can take detailed notes. My goal is to restore is as raced in the Fall of 1956, the last and best race. It had no Tach or miror in the center of the cowl then. The steering wheel was a plain black 3 spoke likely late 1930s Dodge or Plymouth to match the steering box. The dual carbs went on in the Summer of 1956 with a home-made aluminum air scoop now duplicated from video. [Found a NOS 1950s Edelbrock intake on fleaBay] Also the Aero screen is re-constructed.

With all the original film footage, I see no indication it ever had aluminum finned heads. The engine was painted black and the trans copper bronze. I have a set of 59 AB heads with a '9T' on them - think they are 100 hp truck. If milled a little should put out as much HP as Edelbrocks at a much lower cost.
Attachments
! gas Valvoline.jpg
Glasspar 57 guard.jpg
Plymouth nerfs from the Detroit area
Glasspar 57 details.jpg
missing bits
glasspar 57 interior.jpg
As found
glasspar 57 lites.jpg
Idiot lights
Last edited by hhn on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hhn

Postby hhn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:22 am

It is ammazing what you can find with engine searches. I have a pair of 24 stud iron heads that should be period correct for the Glasspar. They have a large 9T cast in them. Good old HAMB had the answer. 9 is for 1939 & T is for truck - meaning they were for a 100hp 239 engine which is basically the same as a 1939/40 Mercury. I don't think the Steers Special ever had finned aluminum heads and some references say it had a Mercury engine even though one race entry listing referes to it as the Steers Ford Glasspar spl.

on fleaBay is a set of 41T heads - must be 1941 truck with HAMB's explination. Just keep getting closer to Summer 1956 Specs :D

..sometines you have to trick the compuker by using differed word groups to find the answer you want - this time it worked to ID the 9T casting nos.
Attachments
G2 steers -.png
The Spring video 1956 starts with it like this
hhn

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat